Our network

Witnesses describe chaos at Six Flags' 'Fright Fest' | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Witnesses describe chaos at Six Flags' 'Fright Fest'
News


LARGO, Md. (WUSA9) -- Fright Fest lived up to its name not because of how scary it was inside the Six Flags amusement Park in Largo, but because of what happened out in the parking lot.

Witnesses say fights broke out Saturday night after the amusement park closed.

Three teenagers were injured and there was a traffic nightmare outside Six Flags as police were arriving and parents frantically tried to reunite with their children.

As a result the park increased security Sunday night.

Katrina Walker was at the park to pick up her son, Caleb, who had been celebrating his 15th birthday. But that celebration she said, ended in chaos: "I heard one or two gunshots, maybe three gun shots. I heard it. They came, all the police cars."

Walker says kids ran out of the park saying there was also a stabbing, but police will not confirm that report.

Police will only confirm that they were called to handle a large crowd leaving the park around 10 Saturday night.

On social media people posted videos of the scene. One shows a girl lying on the ground unconscious.

Dianne McNair who witnessed the scene said that: "the young lady who got knocked out. I saw her go down and I heard someone say she got knocked out and she was unconscious. My grandson and his two friends were in the park. And if this is going on outside what in the world is going on inside?"

Six Flags America released this statement:

The unacceptable behavior and events that occurred yesterday, acted out by some unsupervised youth, are in no way typical behavior for our park or the surrounding area. The safety of our guests is our number one priority and while this was an isolated incident, we are taking steps to make sure it cannot be repeated.

"This park has a zero tolerance for inappropriate behavior," said Rick Howarth, Park President. "We will not allow any individuals or groups to disrupt the typical atmosphere of fun and enjoyment found here."

Additional security and traffic management strategies are being employed to aid in the flow of guests both within the park, as well as on Central Avenue.

Walker doesn't blame the park, but doesn't plan on sending her son back: "it wasn't their fault, however I won't be letting my son go back there at all."

Police say no one has been arrested but they are still investigating what happened.

The amusement park's Halloween theme of Fright Fest began Saturday and continues every weekend until Nov. 2.


News

Upper Marlboro Deals