Our network

No Bond For Stepson Accused Of Killing Police Officer | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

No Bond For Stepson Accused Of Killing Police Officer

UPPER MARLBORO, Md. (WUSA9) -- The man accused of shooting and killing his stepfather, a D.C. detective, in Upper Marlboro on Monday will remain in jail without bond.

A judge ruled on Wednesday that Antwan James will remain in jail until his preliminary court hearing on May 20. The judge rejected the defense lawyer's request to set bond at approximately $250,000.

The prosecution said on Wednesday that there were at least 15 shell casings found at the scene and that's one of the things that the judge found very disturbing.

James is charged with first-degree murder and use of a firearm in a violent crime, which carries a maximum 20 year sentence if he is convicted. 

Wednesday morning, some D.C. police officers consoled each other over the death of police detective Joseph Newell.  A few officers had black bands over their badges in honor of their comrade.

Police Chief Cathy Lanier released this statement regarding
Detective Newell's murder: "As always, the members of the MPD are coming together to support the family and friends of our fallen member. Our thoughts and prayers remain with all affected during this difficult time."

So far there's no word on when funeral services for the late detective will take place.

Newell was shot and killed at his Upper Marlboro home Monday. Authorities say he got into a dispute over yard work with his 27-year old-stepson.

The stepson is now in custody after turning himself in, Prince George's Police Dept.  As the murder suspect Antwan Rayvon James was being walked by police into a vehicle, he responded to a question by WUSA9 if he had anything to say to his family? His response, "I love them."  

Julie Parker of Prince George Police Department said, "At this point, the 27-year-old will be charged with 1st degree murder and likely will be placed on a no bond status."

Prince George's County Police had been looking for the stepson who allegedly shot his stepfather, an off-duty D.C. police officer, in the back -- and then shot him four more times in the back at his home in Upper Marlboro Monday night. 

Police say the shooting was caught on videotape from a neighbor's surveillance camera inside a gated community. According to police, it was a premeditated execution.

Antwan Rayvon James was staying at his mother and stepfather's house in the 6700 block of Green Moss Drive after resigning under pressure from the DC Fire Department, say police.

Police say 46-year-old Joseph Burrough Newell was screwing in a light bulb over the garage on Monday night and asked James to help him out. James reportedly ignored him.

According to the police affidavit, his mother yelled at him and he replied, "Oh yeah, watch this!" James then allegedly shot his stepfather in the back and then shot four more times after Newell fell from off the ladder.

According to police, James took off with his handgun.

At approximately 8:13 p.m. police responded to the scene for reports of a shooting.  When police entered the property they found the officer, 46-year-old Joseph Burrough Newell, with a fatal gun shot wound, police said. Police on scene set up a barricade around the home, believing the shooter was still inside.  Cpl. McKinney says that stand-off ended after 3:00 a.m. with no one taken into custody. 

Ricky Staton, president of the Avalon Community Home Owners Association, says he was outside mowing his lawn Monday evening when he heard at least 7 to 10 gunshots.  According to Staton, several neighbors heard the loud noises but no one reported seeing anything unusual prior to the shooting.  Staton describes the family, who moved to the upscale gated community off Route 301 about 2 years ago, as loving and very involved on the community. 

Newell had been a member of the Metropolitan Police Department since 1989, according to police. He was a detective who handled some of the most violent crimes in one of the toughest parts of the city.

His buddies are grieving. Asst. Chief Pete Newsham told us, "I used to play basketball with him."

James, on the other hand, had to resign under pressure from the DC Fire Department less than a year ago.  Sources say he was facing a laundry list of disciplinary action for failing to show up for work, for a still outstanding assault charge and possibly more.


Upper Marlboro Deals